Fieldton, at the intersection of Farm roads 37 and 1072, on the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River in eastern Lamb County, was named for its location midway between Littlefield and Olton. It was originally called Jaun Dell by Jim Pickrell, the first merchant on the site, which was purchased from the Halsell Land Company in 1924 by Jess Mitchell, its promoter. Pickrell named the place after his two granddaughters, but Mitchell requested that the name be changed to Fieldton. Fieldton received a post office in 1930. The first church, built in 1926, was shared by the Baptists, Methodists, and Church of Christ. A cotton gin started operation at Fieldton in 1931. By 1940 the settlement had a school, four businesses, and 175 people. In 1966 it had eight businesses, including two gins. The population was 126 from 1980 through 2000.

Continue Reading

Claudia Hazlewood | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Fieldton is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Fieldton is classified as a Town


Latitude: 34.03925660
Longitude: -102.22323370

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated


Population Count, 2009