Filigonia was at the junction of the Missouri Pacific Railroad and Farm Road 490 on the Hidalgo-Willacy county line, 1½ miles northeast of Hargill. The town was built by the Missouri Texas Land and Irrigation Company in an effort to develop the area. The company dug a well and erected a clubhouse to entertain and lodge prospective buyers. The clubhouse was located on what is now Farm Road 490 just north of the county line in Willacy County. A town began to spring up around the clubhouse and well, and in 1915 a post office was opened with Anna Richards as postmistress. The town is said to have been named after Filigonio Cuellar, a prominent resident. During its peak period the community supported a school, a dairy, two stores, and a garage. However, shortly after its founding the area experienced a serious drought and attacks by bandits. Among the victims killed by the bandits was Cuellar. Soldiers were stationed in the area to protect the townspeople, but the majority of residents left rather than face further hardships. The post office was closed in 1926 and moved to Hargill, and the settlement was apparently abandoned.

Continue Reading

William E. Richards | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Filigonia is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Filigonia is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Filigonio]
  • (Hargill)


Latitude: 26.44658700
Longitude: -97.98890500

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated