Flewellen

Flewellen, near the intersection of Farm roads 359, 1093, and 1463, twelve miles northwest of Richmond in northwestern Fort Bend County, appears to have been named after an early settler. The community sits on land that was originally included in the eastern part of Stephen F. Austin's colony. Following the Civil War a gristmill served the surrounding farms. In the mid-1930s Flewellen reported fifty inhabitants and one business and was served by a metal-surfaced road and the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. The town still had fifty citizens and one business in 1948, but that year is the last for which population statistics are available. In the 1980s Flewellen still was shown on county highway maps.

Continue Reading

Stephen L. Hardin | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Flewellen is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Flewellen is classified as a Town

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No