Flynn is on Farm roads 977 and 39, twelve miles southwest of Centerville in Leon County. When the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway arrived in the area around 1906, Flynn developed by the line. In 1907 the Houston and Texas Central Railway built track into the town. A post office was established in 1909. The community was first known as Conner but was renamed Flynn, after railroad official Edward J. Flynn. The town's unofficial name was "Bugs Scuffle" after a tavern there. Until 1910, when a two-story school was built, classes were held in the local Baptist church. By 1920 Flynn had two churches and a high school, as well as a cotton gin and gristmill, a two-story hotel, a leather shop, a lumberyard, a chair factory, a phone office, a café, and an icehouse. In 1930 a new school was built, with seven classrooms, a gymnasium, an auditorium, and an agriculture and homemaking building. By 1948 Flynn had a population of 150. In 1972 the community had a population of eighty-one and at least three businesses. A 1989 map indicates three churches and one business at the site. In 2000 Flynn's population was still reported as eighty-one, with eight businesses.

Continue Reading

Dylan Wood | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Flynn is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Flynn is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Connor)
  • (Leon)


Latitude: 31.15101640
Longitude: -96.12440510

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated


Population Count, 2009