Forks Of The Creek

Pelham is on Farm Road 744 just east of the Hill county line, one mile northwest of Navarro Mills Lake and twenty-five miles west of Corsicana in west central Navarro County. It was settled by newly freed slaves in 1866, when it was called Forks of the Creek. In 1878 the Wesley United Methodist Church was founded. It housed the first school in the town. The post office opened in 1900 but closed in 1908. Postmaster Lewis Richie's wife renamed the town Pelham for her hometown in Alabama. Pelham flourished during the Navarro County oil boom from 1894 to the 1920s. Its population peaked at 350 in 1926 and declined to twenty-five by 1936. From 1966 to 1990 the population was estimated at seventy-five. Maps of the 1980s indicated a school, a church, and businesses at the site.

Continue Reading

Brian Bruckner | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Forks Of The Creek is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Forks Of The Creek is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Pelham)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated