Fuqua was on Farm Road 787 fifty-six miles northwest of Beaumont in extreme northeastern Liberty County. The Fuqua post office, established in 1902, was erected in the thick woods of East Texas on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway. Although lumber production had been slowed by disputes with labor, by 1904 the Kirby Lumber Company mill facilities at Fuqua included a kiln, planer, and sawmill with a capacity of 100,000 board feet a day. The mill at Fuqua was also served by over eight miles of tramlines. The mill's production in 1907 reached nearly sixteen million board feet. As area forests were depleted and lumber companies consolidated operations, the Fuqua mill was abandoned. In 1929 the community's post office was discontinued. A rough clearing and remnants of the abandoned tramline marked the site in the mid-1980s.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Fuqua is part of or belongs to the following places:
Fuqua is classified as a Town
Has Post Office