Galloway

Galloway (Gallaway), on Farm Road 31 seventeen miles southeast of Carthage in southeastern Panola County, was established soon after the Civil War. A school that began operating there in the early 1880s had an enrollment of thirty in 1897. In the mid-1930s Galloway had a school, a church, a store, and a number of houses. After World War II its school was consolidated with the Carthage schools, but in the mid-1960s the community still had a church, a community center, and several businesses. In 1990 Galloway was a dispersed rural community with an estimated population of seventy-one. The population remained the same in 2000.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Galloway is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Galloway is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Gallaway]

Location

Latitude: 32.04822100
Longitude: -94.08074710

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

71