Gethsemane

Gethsemane Community is on State Highway 49 fifteen miles northeast of Jefferson in northeastern Marion County. The Gethsemane school had fifty-three pupils and one teacher in 1899. In 1938 the community had a three-room schoolhouse that accommodated 183 elementary students, twenty-seven high school students, and five teachers. The school was consolidated with the Lassater school by 1955. In 1962 Gethsemane Community had a church and a number of scattered dwellings. In the 1980s there were four business establishments, a recreational facility, and two churches in the predominantly Black community.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Gethsemane is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Gethsemane is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [-Community]

Location

Latitude: 32.80264060
Longitude: -94.10935130

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No