Gladewater is at the intersection of U.S. highways 80 and 271, thirteen miles west of Longview on the boundary between Gregg and Upshur counties. It was founded by the Texas and Pacific Railway Company in 1873 on land bought from Jarrett Dean and Anderson White. A community called St. Clair, two miles to the east, moved to Gladewater when the railroad announced that the only mail stop in the area would be there; residents from Point Pleasant, also bypassed by the railroad, moved to Gladewater. The first post office at Gladewater was established on August 22, 1873. The town's name probably originated from its proximity to Glade Creek, a stream that rose in a rather barren region called the Glades.
In 1874 Gladewater was incorporated with a mayor-alderman government. The incorporation lapsed, and a new charter was not obtained until 1931, when an influx of population necessitated organized city government. In 1955 Gladewater adopted a council-mayor form of government. The population grew slowly during the nineteenth century; the town had only 163 people in 1880 and 259 in 1900. In the area around Gladewater lumbering was a major activity, although farming was also important; cotton was the major crop. In 1908 the town had ten stores, one bank, two blacksmith shops, two hotels, a gin, a sawmill, and a planing mill. It continued to grow slowly until 1931.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Gladewater is part of or belongs to the following places:
Gladewater is classified as a Town
- (St. Clair)
Has Post Office
Gladewater by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."
|6,134||2020||United States Census Bureau|
|6,847||2019||Texas Demographic Center|
|6,441||2010||United States Census Bureau|
|6,078||2000||United States Census Bureau|
|6,027||1990||United States Census Bureau|
|6,548||1980||United States Census Bureau|
|5,574||1970||United States Census Bureau|
|5,742||1960||United States Census Bureau|
|5,305||1950||United States Census Bureau|
|4,454||1940||United States Census Bureau|