Golden Rule

Golden Rule, also known as Greer's Neighborhood, was four miles east of Mineola on what later became Farm Road 49 in southern Wood County. The community was probably first named for Gaines Greer, recipient of a land grant in the area and owner of a number of sawmills in Wood County. It is not known whether he operated one at Greer's Neighborhood. In August 1864 a Baptist church was organized there. The community's name was probably changed to Golden Rule by 1890, when the church reorganized under the name Stephen's Chapel Missionary Baptist Church and for a time met monthly at what was then called Golden Rule School. This school was said to have been near the site where Wood County was organized and where the county's first election was held; the site received a state historical marker in 1973. By 1896 the school, in the New Hope district, reported thirty-five White and eighty-nine Black students. By 1902 the community's church had moved; it eventually became part of New Hope, two miles to the south. In 1905 the Golden Rule school reported thirty White and fifty-six Black students. Golden Rule was not named on the 1936 county highway map, which showed a church and a school in the area, nor is the community labeled on the 1988 county highway map.

Continue Reading

Rachel Jenkins | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Golden Rule is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Golden Rule is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Greer's Neighborhood)

Location

Latitude: 32.67952400
Longitude: -95.43145600

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No