Gooseneck

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Young County

Gooseneck was on the west side of the Brazos River five miles south of the site of present Graham in southeastern Young County. The area was settled by the 1880s and was originally called Honey Bend because of its wild bees; it was later named for a prominent curve in the river. The center of the community never consisted of more than a rural school and a church. In 1932 the Gooseneck Cemetery Association was established to maintain the original graveyard. James James, born in 1764 and a veteran of the War of 1812, was buried there. The 1984 county highway map showed the Gooseneck Cemetery a mile east of Farm Road 1287.

Continue Reading

Charles G. Davis | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Great Texas Land Rush logo
Adoption Status:
This place has been adopted and will not be available until October 6, 2024
Adopted by:
Joe Lee Fore
Dedication Message:
In honor of George Washington Fore

Belongs to

Gooseneck is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Gooseneck is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Honey Bend)

Location

Latitude: 33.02817310
Longitude: -98.58144620

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No