Grand Cane

Clark is on State Highway 146 sixty miles northwest of Beaumont in northeastern Liberty County. During the 1840s the area was the site of Sam Houston's Grand Cane plantation on the Trinity River. The Grand Cane post office, established in 1846, was renamed Ironwood in 1869. The 1870 census listed seventy-six households in the Ironwood district, a largely agricultural area whose fertile soils supported dense forests. In 1900 the Ironwood post office was renamed Clark at the suggestion of postmaster Randolph Fields. As the lumber industry moved into northeastern Liberty County, the Cummings logging camp was established to the southwest, and the Milvid logging road was carved to the north and east. Clark became a voting precinct in 1924, and it was consolidated with Rye to form the Concord precinct in 1948. A few scattered buildings and a gravel pit still marked the site of Clark in 1990.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Grand Cane is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Grand Cane is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Clark)


Latitude: 30.32104250
Longitude: -94.75048030

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated