Gulf Park

Jones Creek is on State Highway 36 and the Gulf Prairie twelve miles southwest of Angleton in southwestern Brazoria County. The community was settled in the 1820s by Anglo-American families, including several of the Old Three Hundred, who established large cotton plantations in the area. With the end of plantation life after the Civil War, growth of the community ceased, but by 1949 Jones Creek found new importance as one of several municipalities and towns making up the Brazosport industrial and port area. In 1956 Jones Creek reported a population of 2,851 and nine businesses, and by 1957 the community included Perry's Landing, Peach Point, Peach Crest, and Gulf Park, a residential community established in 1927 by Robert E. L. Stringfellow and P. George Maercky of Freeport Sulphur Company. Jones Creek was incorporated in 1970. Its population declined to 1,268 in 1972 and reached a high of 2,634 in 1982. A 1974 map showed the Austin School, two churches, several buildings, and numerous scattered dwellings at the townsite; Gulf Prairie Church and the Gulf Park settlement were nearby. In 1990 the population of Jones Creek was 2,160. The population dropped slightly to 2,130 by 2000.

Continue Reading

Diana J. Kleiner | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Gulf Park is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Gulf Park is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Jones Creek)

Location

Latitude: 28.96108160
Longitude: -95.41383040

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No