Gum Springs

Gum Springs is a small rural community located on State Highway 8 about nine miles north of Linden in north central Cass County. Settlement occurred in the area as early as 1850 because of the abundance of natural springs. These flowing springs and the many gum trees in the region inspired the town's name. The village served local farmers and in the 1930s had two churches, an African-American school, and many farms. By the 1980s a church and cemetery remained in the area, but no population figures were available until 2000 when Gum Springs had fifty residents.

Continue Reading

Laurie E. Jasinski | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Gum Springs is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Gum Springs is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 33.14957230
Longitude: -94.36074990

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

50