Haciendito

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Presidio County

Haciendita (Haciendito) is on Farm Road 170 and the Rio Grande, six miles northwest of Presidio in southwestern Presidio County. Irrigation and cotton growing were introduced to the area in 1917, when Don Bartello Garcia built a gravity irrigation system to serve the community's farmers. Garcia sold the ditches and their water rights in 1921 to J. H. Fortner, a local cotton farmer. With irrigation, members of the Haciendita community cultivated 1,500 acres of cotton in the 1920s. The community established a school before 1904, when H. H. Lovett taught there; D. Chesser was the teacher in 1908. The community's population was about twenty in 1948. At the close of the 1980s Haciendita was still a small farming community.

Continue Reading

Julia Cauble Smith | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Haciendito is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Haciendito is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Haciendita]

Location

Latitude: 29.61517980
Longitude: -104.45520300

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

10