Hamco

Ireland is on Farm Road 932 sixteen miles northwest of Gatesville in northwestern Coryell County. It was first known as Hamco because of its location on the Hamilton-Coryell county line, but in 1911, with the completion of the Stephenville North and South Texas Railway, residents applied for a post office in the name of Ireland, in honor of Governor John Ireland. The Ireland community reached its peak in the 1920s, when it had three general stores, three churches, a bank, several other businesses, and a population of 400. When the railroad was abandoned in the early 1940s, the community declined rapidly; by the late 1940s it had only forty residents. By 1970 the post office at Ireland had become a rural branch of the Gatesville postal service. The community reported a population of sixty in 1990. The population remained unchanged in 2000.

Continue Reading

Zelma Scott | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Hamco is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Hamco is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Ireland)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No