Hare

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Medina County

Shook, also known as Hare, was near San Francisco Creek, a mile east of Farm Road 173, and six miles northwest of Devine in south central Medina County. In 1896 the one-teacher Shook school had seventeen students, and in 1922 a new two-room school was built to accommodate a second teacher. The school curriculum concentrated on music, agriculture, and physical education; facilities included a piano, a library, a large playground, and drinking fountains supplied by a windmill-driven water well. In the late 1920s local farmers cultivated broomcorn and a variety of grains. Shook residents were mostly White, with a significant number tracing their ancestry to members of Castro's colony. In the late 1940s Shook included the school, a business, and several homesites, but by 1982 the townsite had been abandoned.

Continue Reading

Ruben E. Ochoa | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Hare is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Hare is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Shook)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No