Harmony is on Farm Road 37 thirteen miles southwest of Floydada and two miles east of the Hale county line in southwestern Floyd County. The settlement grew up around a school established about 1905. The name was adopted to depict a close-knit community. After two years the school was moved to a location nearby and continued there until it was replaced with a brick building in the late 1920s. Some ten years later the school was merged with the Petersburg school, which was moved to Floydada in 1947. The Harmony school building became a community center after classes were discontinued. The structure burned in the early 1950s but was rebuilt by local residents. Carr's United Methodist Church, two miles southeast of Harmony, has been in continuous operation since 1905, when it was founded by William Hardy Carr, a native of Tennessee and former Confederate soldier. Services were held in the Harmony school until the present building was erected in 1914. A cemetery to the east of the church contains the graves of many early pioneers, including Carr. In 1986 the population of Harmony was estimated at thirty. Most families lived in a radius of several miles (mostly south and east) of the still-active community center. In 2000 the population was forty-two.

Continue Reading

Charles G. Davis | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Harmony is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Harmony is classified as a Town


Latitude: 33.94035690
Longitude: -101.53377540

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated


Population Count, 2009