Harp

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Freestone County

Harp, a mile south of Farm Road 416 and fourteen miles northeast of Fairfield in northeastern Freestone County, received a post office in 1899, with William T. Rooney as first postmaster. The community also had a school. Harp's post office closed in 1907, and mail was sent to Winkler. In the 1930s Harp had a cemetery, two churches, a school, and numerous scattered dwellings; by the 1960s it had a church, a cemetery, and a few dwellings. In the late 1980s the church and cemetery still remained at the site.

Continue Reading

Chris Cravens | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Harp is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Harp is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Goetz)
  • (Hagler)

Location

Latitude: 31.92821740
Longitude: -96.11913630

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No