Harriet

Harriet (Harriett) is on U.S. Highway 67 and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, ten miles northeast of San Angelo in northeastern Tom Green County. A post office was established there in 1909 with Charles P. Lovelace as postmaster. A month later the post office changed its name from Harriet to Harriett and continued to served the area until it was moved to San Angelo in 1927. The community reported a population of twelve and two businesses in 1936, and county maps of the 1950s showed a church and several buildings there. Harriet was shown on the 1984 county highway map with a railroad station and, two miles northeast, a cemetery.

Continue Reading

Charles G. Davis | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Harriet is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Harriet is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Harriett]

Location

Latitude: 31.54710410
Longitude: -100.31870040

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No