Hasslers, also known as Rock Crusher, was four miles northwest of Coleman in Coleman County. In 1909 the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway began work on its Coleman-Texico cutoff, which gave the railroad a shorter route from California points to Galveston. About four miles northwest of Coleman, on the Bachelor Prong of Hords Creek, a rock crusher was built to process rock for ballasting the bed of the railroad tracks, and around 1910 a settlement known as Rock Crusher grew up around the railroad camp. A general store and later a cotton gin were in the vicinity. The rock crusher operated there only a short time before being moved. In 1916 the Silver Valley, Mount View, and White Chapel schools consolidated to form the Rock Crusher School District No. 20. This district was discontinued in 1917, and each school went back to its original district. In 1936 the Rock Crusher community consisted of a factory complex and a few widely scattered dwellings. Sometime after the mid-1930s Rock Crusher became known as Hasslers. By 1983 the community was no longer shown on the county highway map.

Continue Reading

Jeanne F. Lively | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Hasslers is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Hasslers is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Rock Crusher)


Latitude: 31.84886000
Longitude: -99.47140800

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated