Hayhurst

Hayhurst was a farming community near what is now Van Alstyne in south central Grayson County. The settlement formed in the mid-1840s, when a number of families chose the site because of its promise as a productive farming area. Among this group was the town's namesake, Joseph Warner Hayhurst. As Van Alstyne developed, the community of Hayhurst declined. It was not named on the 1947 county highway map.

Continue Reading

David Minor | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Great Texas Land Rush logo
Adoption Status:
This place has been adopted and will not be available until February 5, 2025
Adopted by:
Pamela Kay Zeidler (Hayhurst)
Dedication Message:
In loving memory of Francis Hayhurst

Belongs to

Hayhurst is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Hayhurst is classified as a Town

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No