Henry Chapel is southeast of Graham and a mile west of the Jack county line in far southeastern Young County. During the Civil War the Lemly family was living in this section of the county, and in 1869 John Lemly, a son, was killed by Indians. The Henry Chapel settlement was named for John R. Henry, who bought two sections of land at fifty cents an acre and donated land for a church. The chapel, which bears his name, was built in 1878. Henry was a Methodist and organized the church. He was also a steward, a contributor, and a Sunday school teacher for a number of years. The chapel served as a schoolhouse, called Mud College by locals. The school was consolidated with that of Graham in 1930. In 1922 a store called Dixie was established at Henry Chapel by Tom Bowman. An oil boom in the 1920s resulted in a brief period of growth for the community, but county highway maps from the 1930s showed only the church and scattered residences. In the early 1990s the little white church was a well-preserved landmark.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Henry Chapel is part of or belongs to the following places:
Henry Chapel is classified as a Town
Has Post Office