Hickory

Prairie Mountain is on Farm Road 2323 twenty miles southwest of Llano in southwestern Llano County. At the beginning of the twentieth century it was variously known as Starks, Putnam, and Hickory. When a rural school was built on Roundtree Ranch in 1906, the community took its name from the nearby Prairie Mountain. The first teacher was Martha Ward. The division of the Roundtree Ranch into smaller holdings in 1913 and 1914 increased the local population. The community of about twenty families continued to support social functions at least into the 1970s. The stone ranch house and barn have become county landmarks. Prairie Mountain was still listed as a community in 1990.

Continue Reading

James B. Heckert-Greene | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Hickory is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Hickory is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Prairie Mountain)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No