Hinkles Ferry

Hinkle's Ferry is located near the San Bernard River approximately six miles south of Brazoria in southwestern Brazoria County. The community was established around an old ferry crossing located just north of where County Road 310 used to cross the river. J. V. Hinkle was postmaster and general-store owner in 1884, when the community shipped cotton, sugar, and molasses. The community's post office was established in 1877 and was discontinued in 1914. By 1896 the community had a population of thirty-five, a gristmill and gin, several general stores, and a Methodist church. That year Hinkle's Ferry also had a school with one teacher and eleven students. The 1936 county highway map showed two businesses and numerous dwellings at the townsite. Population figures remained at about thirty-five throughout the twentieth century and into the early 2000s. In 2015 an old store building remained and served as a private residence. Hinkle family members still owned property on both sides of the San Bernard River.

Continue Reading

Kenneth Kohrs | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Hinkles Ferry is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Hinkles Ferry is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 28.94969500
Longitude: -95.55744700

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2014

100