Hobbs

Hobbs is a farming community twelve miles southeast of Canton in extreme south central Van Zandt County. In 1890 it had schools for White students and for Black. Enrollment at the White school was eighty-seven in 1904, and fifty-four students attended the Black school in 1906. The community was not labeled on the 1936 county highway map. Its schools were consolidated with the Martins Mill Independent School District by the 1950s. In the late 1980s a church and scattered dwellings marked the Hobbs townsite.

Continue Reading

Diana J. Kleiner | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Hobbs is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Hobbs is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.38042150
Longitude: -95.77774230

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No