House

House, a rural community and rail stop twenty miles southeast of Richmond in eastern Fort Bend County, was named for the Thomas W. House plantation on the Sugar Land Railroad. The community was a stop on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe in 1885. In 1909 a post office opened at House, but it closed in 1921. By 1914 House reported a population of seventy-five, as well as three general stores, a telephone connection, a cotton gin, and a sugar mill. In 1933 the town reported two businesses and an estimated 200 inhabitants, but its population had dwindled to sixty by the mid-1940s, after which statistics were unavailable. Though House was named on the 1984 county highway map, the map showed no structures at the site.

Continue Reading

Stephen L. Hardin | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

House is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

House is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 29.47384870
Longitude: -95.49744310

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No