Hoyte

Hoyte, formerly known as Cone's Switch or Arcadia, is on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe line and U.S. Highway 190, six miles southeast of Cameron in central Milam County. Around 1900 John B. McLane gave land to the railroad for a passing track and a wood-loading spur. For a time the community was a flag stop on the rail line and had a small depot. A post office opened at Hoyte in 1904 but was discontinued in 1907. In 1941 a school and several scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps. Hoyte had twenty residents in 1990. The population remained the same in 2000.

Continue Reading

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Hoyte is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Hoyte is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Arcadia)
  • (Cone's Switch)

Location

Latitude: 30.78491420
Longitude: -96.91553850

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

20