Hughey

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Gregg County

Hughey, on State Highway 42 and Farm Road 1252, six miles southwest of Longview in central Gregg County, was established around 1850. The small settlement boomed briefly in the 1930s after oil was discovered in the East Texas oilfield. In 1950 Hughey included Higher Elementary School, Barber Memorial Presbyterian Church, and several stores. The community later declined, and in the early 1990s only a few scattered dwellings remained at the site.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Hughey is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Hughey is classified as a Town

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No