Humphrey was near the South Fork of the Sabine River six miles from Quinlan in southern Hunt County. It began to form in 1858, and from 1874 to 1884 it had a post office. By 1885 Humphrey had a sawmill, a gin, a gristmill, and a general store. In 1899 its residents petitioned to have the post office reopened, and the new office operated from 1899 to 1906. Throughout its history Humphrey served as a church and school community for area farmers. Its population probably never exceeded fifty. By the 1940s Humphrey had twenty-three residents and served as the area school district for black students. The townsite was inundated by Lake Tawakoni in the late 1950s.

Continue Reading

David Minor | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Humphrey is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Humphrey is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Clair)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated