Hurst Springs (Hurst), on Farm Road 182 five miles northeast of Turnersville in northern Coryell County, was named for John H. Hurst, who established the community in the 1870s near a small spring. A post office opened there in 1877 with Franklin H. Justice as postmaster, then closed in 1883 but reopened in 1888. By the early 1890s the community had grown to include a cotton gin, a corn mill, a church, a district school, two general stores, and 100 residents. The Hurst post office closed again in 1906, and local mail was sent to Norse in Bosque County. By the 1930s Hurst's population had fallen to twenty-five, but in the late 1940s and 1950s it reported 100 residents. Most people who stayed in the area were farmers who raised some cattle and grew grains and sorghum. In the mid-1980s several new homes had been built or were under construction in the Hurst Springs area. In 2000 the population was eight.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Hurst Springs is part of or belongs to the following places:
Hurst Springs is classified as a Town
Has Post Office
Hurst Springs by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."