Hylton, on Farm Road 1170 nine miles northeast of Blackwell in southeast Nolan County, was established in 1886 and named for early settler E. Hylton, who became the first postmaster that same year. The growth in 1906 of nearby Blackwell, which had railroad service, hindered development at Hylton. At that time Hylton had two saloons, a gin, other businesses, and an estimated population of 500. Pioneers included the Waggonners, Dr. Henry Porter, the Robertsons, and Lille Franks, who started Fish Creek School near Hylton in 1899. In 1945 the population was 187. The store and post office were closed in 1964. The population was twenty-eight in 1980 and 1990. By 2000 the population was listed as six.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Hylton is part of or belongs to the following places:
Hylton is classified as a Town
- (Fish Creek)
Has Post Office
Hylton by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."