Idlewilde

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Bexar County

Idlewilde was on the Medina River off U.S. Highway 90, twenty miles west of downtown San Antonio in western Bexar County. It was named for a town in New York by Thomas Donkin (or Dunkin), who arrived from New York in 1879. During that year Donkin interested community residents in building a school, and he became its first teacher. The one-teacher elementary school became known as Delta School. A post office operated at the community from 1887 to 1902 and briefly in 1908. In the 1930s Idlewilde had a flag station, a school, and a few houses, but by the 1950s the settlement was no longer shown on maps.

Continue Reading

Lula Lee McMeans | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Idlewilde is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Idlewilde is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Ivanhoe)

Location

Latitude: 29.32599200
Longitude: -98.78717100

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No