Ioni was on Ioni Creek twenty miles southeast of Palestine and ten miles east of Elkhart in southeastern Anderson County. The community and creek were named for the Ioni Indians who camped in the area; arrowheads and other Indian artifacts have been found on the site. Ioni had a post office from 1848 to 1900. In 1884 the community had an estimated population of sixty, served by three churches, a steam gristmill, a cotton gin, a general store, and a district school. By 1896 the population had fallen to around twenty-five, and the site had Baptist and Methodist Episcopal churches. The community probably disappeared sometime in the early twentieth century, as it was not listed on county highway maps by the 1930s.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Ioni is part of or belongs to the following places:
Ioni is classified as a Town
Has Post Office