Avery is on the Missouri Pacific Railroad and U.S. Highway 82 sixteen miles southeast of Clarksville in eastern Red River County. When the Texas and Pacific was being constructed through the county in the 1870s, the managers of the railroad planned a station at the site and named it Douglass. Settlement in the community was slow because the surrounding area was so sparsely populated. When a correspondent of the Clarksville Standard visited Douglass in early 1881 he found a collection of families living in tents. Later that year, when Isaac Bradford and his partner opened their general store, a post office was established there, and the name of the town was changed to Isaca. In 1902 the name was changed to Avery, in honor of Ed Avery, the first railway station agent. In 1884 the population was estimated at thirty, and by 1896 it had increased to forty-eight. By 1900 Avery had three churches, a school, and a population of 176. During the first decade of the twentieth century cotton ginning was an important local industry. By 1914 the town had two banks; a weekly newspaper, the Avery News, published by H. H. Morgan; and a population estimated at 500. The population reached its highest point in the late 1920s with a reported 800 residents, before falling sharply to a low of 300 in the early 1930s. Avery was incorporated before the 1940 census, when it reported 477 residents. The population subsequently remained relatively stable. The 1980 census recorded 520 residents, and in 1986 nine businesses were reported. In 1990 the population was 430. By 2000 the population increased to 462.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Isaca is part of or belongs to the following places:
Isaca is classified as a Town
Has Post Office