Jackson School House

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Dallas County

Audelia was at the intersection of Forest Lane and Audelia Road, three miles south of present Richardson within the present Dallas city limits in northeastern Dallas County. The first settlers in the Audelia area were the family members of James E. Jackson of Tennessee; his family received a land grant in the Peters colony in 1842. The area around their homestead became known as Ardelia, after Jackson's daughter, but the name was later changed to Audelia. Although the area was settled in the 1840s, it was not recognized as a community until the 1870s. In October 1899 Audelia received a post office, which opened in a general store at the intersection of Audelia Road and Forest Lane. Its first postmaster was the store's merchant, Junius T. Rhoton. In addition to the post office, Audelia had a cotton gin and a school in 1900. The post office remained in Audelia until January 1904, when it was moved to Richardson. By 1915 Audelia had a population of twenty and by 1940 a population of thirty-five, a store, and a church. In 1981 Audelia was in Dallas.

Continue Reading

Lisa C. Maxwell | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Jackson School House is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Jackson School House is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Audelia)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated