Jean, at the intersection of State Highway 114 and Farm Road 1769, in north central Young County, was settled in 1875 by rancher S. B. Lamar, who built a schoolhouse and a store there. His son, James Lamar, became the first postmaster and named the settlement after his sweetheart. Jean was moved one mile to the Gulf, Texas and Western Railroad when the line was built through the area in 1903. R. F. Willis donated land for the new townsite and gave the Trinity Townsite Company alternate blocks. G. G. Cantrill built a store that was also used for the railroad station. By 1940 Jean had 300 inhabitants and five stores. In 1980 and 1990 the population was estimated as ninety-one. The population grew to 110 in 2000.

Continue Reading

William R. Hunt | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Jean is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Jean is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Rogatton)
  • (Salt Creek)


Latitude: 33.29622130
Longitude: -98.61644700

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated


Population Count, 2014