Jerusalem

Jerusalem, on the banks of Upper Keechi Creek five miles southeast of Teague in west central Freestone County, had a school for black students by 1891. In 1893 the school had sixty-seven pupils enrolled, but by 1903 it had only seven. The community also had the Jerusalem Church. In the 1930s Jerusalem had a church, a cemetery, and a number of dwellings. The church and the cemetery remained at the site in the late 1980s.

Continue Reading

Chris Cravens | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Jerusalem is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Jerusalem is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 31.67544920
Longitude: -95.88218350

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No