Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Jasper County

Johnson, also known as Johnson's Camp or Johnson's Switch, was on the Orange and Northwestern Railway in eastern Jasper County. The camp was established in 1906 soon after the completion of the railroad and named after its logging contractor, Ben Johnson. The Johnson camp was used to log for the Miller-Link Lumber Company and had a peak production of twenty-five carloads of timber a day. The camp's population numbered between 250 and 300. The camp was dismantled in 1910, and by 1949 the site was part of the Henderson-Lanier Ranch. No evidence of the lumbering facilities remained in 1986.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Johnson is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Johnson is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [-Camp]
  • [-Switch]

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated