Jones

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Mills County

Ratler, which may also have been known as Jones Valley, was a farm community eleven miles southwest of Goldthwaite on the Colorado River in Mills County. A post office was established in 1892. By 1915 the community had two stores, a cotton gin, a gristmill, a school, and a population of thirty-five. The Willis mill and vineyards also produced wine. After 1915 the town quickly declined. The school was consolidated with Goldthwaite schools, and the post office closed in 1929. In 1990 Ratler was not listed on maps.

Continue Reading

John G. Johnson | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Jones is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Jones is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [-Mill]
  • [-Valley]
  • (Ratler)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No