Jones

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Van Zandt County

Jones was at the juncture of Farm Road 1255 and State Highway 110, eleven miles northeast of Canton in northeastern Van Zandt County. In the 1870s it had a church and school. Around that time four Jones brothers started a cemetery on the survey of H. W. Jones. The local school reached an enrollment of thirty-eight in 1906, and the 1936 county highway map showed a business, a church, a school, and several dwellings near the Texas Short Line Railway. In 1965 the town had a business and the church, but by 1981 only the Jones Cemetery and several dwellings by the highway remained.

Continue Reading

Diana J. Kleiner | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Jones is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Jones is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Board)

Location

Latitude: 32.60846710
Longitude: -95.67440640

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No