Jones Ranch

Altavista is off Farm Road 1017 twenty-two miles south of Hebbronville in east central Jim Hogg County. The site was first settled in 1890, when the Jones family purchased the Jones-Alta Vista Ranch. A post office called Altavista and a store were in operation by 1906. One business and a population estimated at twenty-five were recorded for the year 1936. In the mid-1940s Altavista had a business, a school, and row of dwellings. In the early 1990s Altavista was a dispersed community.

Continue Reading

Alicia A. Garza | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Jones Ranch is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Jones Ranch is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Altavista)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No