Judea

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Marion County

Judea Church (Judea) is at the intersection of State Highway 49 and Farm Road 805, eight miles northeast of Jefferson in eastern Marion County. The site of the community is south of State Highway 49; a separate community, Whatley, is to the north of the highway. The Judea school had eighty-six black pupils and one teacher in 1899. In 1938 the community had a two-room schoolhouse, which accommodated sixty-seven black elementary students and two teachers. In the 1940s Judea had three businesses, the school, and a church. The school was consolidated with that of Jefferson by 1955, and in 1962 Judea Church had a church, a sawmill, a number of scattered dwellings, and, a short distance north, the Judea Cemetery. In 1983 the community had a church, a sawmill, and one other business, but was no longer identified on the county highway map.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Judea is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Judea is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [-Church]

Location

Latitude: 32.79708450
Longitude: -94.23379920

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No