Karon

Karon is a church community a mile east of the Karon gas field on Farm Road 1358, a mile east of the old Votaw community, eleven miles east of Three Rivers, and fourteen miles northeast of George West, the county seat, in east central Live Oak County. The community was named for Ralph Caron, the assistant postmaster and a local merchant; the spelling was changed to avoid confusion with an existing post office. The post office served the community from 1923 until 1939. In 1923 a cotton gin was built in Karon. Throughout the 1930s the town reported ten residents and one business. In 1940 Karon had a population of twenty, with one business. Karon was identified on the 1948 county highway map as a school community with scattered dwellings. In 1966 twenty people remained in the town, but there were no businesses. In the late 1980s Karon was a church community with one business and twenty residents. By 2000 the population was reported as twenty-five.

Continue Reading

Hal Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Karon is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Karon is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Caron]
  • (Votaw)

Location

Latitude: 28.47888340
Longitude: -98.00222520

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

25