Kinkler

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Lavaca County

Kinkler and nearby New Kinkler are on U.S. Highway 77 and Lavaca County Road 214, seven miles north of Hallettsville in northern Lavaca County. In 1838 Richard J. Woodward was issued a headright certificate for one league and one labor of land in the area, and the grant was patented to him in 1841. For many years the area, with its moderately well-drained sandy loams that support grass and scattered trees, provided excellent range for cattle. During and after the Civil War the original Anglo-American settlers were gradually replaced by German and Czech immigrants, who divided the large ranches into farms.

In 1875 Jack Kinkler settled on Mixon Creek on the Woodward grant, and the growing community of predominantly German farmers took his name. A school called Mule Spring was built in 1880, and in 1895 New Kinkler School was erected a mile to the east. The population of Kinkler in the 1890s was about twenty-five. A post office operated from 1885 to 1905 and served both communities.

Continue Reading

Jeff Carroll | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Kinkler is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Kinkler is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [New-]
  • (Mixon)

Location

Latitude: 29.53412750
Longitude: -96.89914720

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

75