Kopperl

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Bosque County

Kopperl, near Farm Road 56 fourteen miles northeast of Meridian and forty miles northwest of Waco in northeastern Bosque County, was founded in 1881 and named in honor of Moritz Kopperl, a Galveston banker and Santa Fe Railroad director. The community was on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway. In 1953, after the construction of the Lake Whitney dam, a levee was erected around the town to protect citizens from possible flooding. In 1904 the estimated population was 329. The population in 1974 was 225. Kopperl was the subject of a song by Stephen Fromholtz, "The Texas Trilogy." In 1990 the population was still reported as 225.

Continue Reading

Karen Yancy | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Kopperl is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Kopperl is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.06987340
Longitude: -97.50390760

Has Post Office

Yes

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2021 View more »

121