Pleasant Hill is located in southernmost Washington County on Williams Creek four miles southeast of Brenham off State Highway 36. The town was originally named Krug after Kenney Krug, who operated a store in the community. Krug also served as the first postmaster when a post office was established there on March 4, 1878. The community changed its name to Pleasant Hill on March 29, 1878. By 1882 the town had two churches, a school, and a population of 350. Most of the town's business revolved around processing and shipping cotton, corn, and lumber. Settled predominantly by German immigrants, the town put on a Schuetzenfest (shooting match) and ball in 1896, which attracted people from Brenham and the surrounding area. By the early 1890s, however, the town was beginning to decline, due in part to competition from nearby Phillipsburg, Muellersberg, and Brenham. The post office was closed on January 20, 1896, and most of the town's residents moved away. In 1989 Pleasant Hill was a dispersed farming community.

Continue Reading

Carole E. Christian | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Krug is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Krug is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • ['s Store]
  • (Pleasant Hill)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated