Lackland Air Force Base
Lackland Air Force Base, located seven miles west of San Antonio, was originally part of Kelly Field (see KELLY AIR FORCE BASE). Early in World War II (June 1942), it was separated from Kelly and became the San Antonio Aviation Cadet Center; it provided classification and preflight training for aspiring pilots, bombardiers, and navigators. By 1945 the base was engaged in the training of personnel for almost every Air Corps need, including fiscal officers, nurses, dentists, medical technicians, psychological research, and a growing enlisted training function. In 1946 the base was renamed Lackland Army Air Field for Gen. Frank D. Lackland, an early commander of Kelly Field, and after separation of the United States Air Force from the U. S. Army in 1948 it became Lackland Air Force Base. It is also known as the "Gateway to the Air Force," as all personnel entering the new branch were processed and trained at Lackland.
The base continued to expand after World War II when training programs were introduced for women and officers entering the Air Force with direct commissions. Lackland gained its first permanent technical training responsibility in May 1954, with the implementation of the USAF Recruiting Course. The first technical training unit arrived on November 20, 1956, when the 3275th Technical Training Group transferred from Parks Air Force Base, California, and brought with it all Air Police training. Throughout the twentieth century Lackland continued to grow with expanded technical training and the incorporation of new tenant units that conducted a vast number of valuable missions for the United States Air Force.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Lackland Air Force Base is part of or belongs to the following places:
Lackland Air Force Base is classified as a Town
Has Post Office
Population Count, 2021 View more »