Lake Graham

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Young County

Lake Graham is on Farm Road 3003 two miles northwest of Graham in central Young County (centered at 33°08' N, 98°36' W). An earth dam was completed on Salt Creek in 1958 to provide a water supply for the town of Graham. The lake is fed by Briar, Mule Pen, and Willow branches and is also connected to Lake Eddleman. The dam is eighty-two feet high with a 1,050-foot-wide spillway. Normal capacity is 39,000 acre-feet; maximum capacity is 195,000 acre-feet. The lake was probably named for the brothers Edwin S. and Gustavus Graham, who purchased 125,000 acres of land near Graham in 1871. The local terrain consists of rolling hills, surfaced by clay and sandy loams that support scrub brush, cacti, grasses, live oak, and juniper.

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Lake Graham is part of or belongs to the following places:

Lake Measurements

  • Surface Area (in acres): 2,444
  • Storage Capacity (in acre-feet): 45,302

Lake Maintained or Owned by

City of Graham

Date of Origin

1929 (95 years ago)

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Lake Graham is classified as a Lake

Purposes

  • Municipal water supply
  • Industry

Associated Names

  • (Lake Eddleman)