Lake Murvaul

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Panola County

Murvaul Lake is ten miles southwest of Carthage on Murvaul Creek in the Sabine River basin in Panola County (at 32°02' N, 94°25' W). The project is owned and operated by the Panola County Fresh Water Supply District Number One, with offices in Carthage. Construction of the reservoir began on September 26, 1956, and was completed on June 1, 1958. The lake has a capacity of 45,840 acre-feet and a surface area of 3,820 acres at the spillway crest elevation of 265.3 feet above mean sea level. Water is used for municipal, industrial, and recreational purposes. The drainage area above the dam is 115 square miles. The local terrain is flat and surfaced by clay and sandy loams that support water-tolerant hardwoods, conifers, and grasses.

Continue Reading

Seth D. Breeding | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Lake Murvaul is part of or belongs to the following places:

Lake Measurements

  • Surface Area (in acres): 3,507
  • Storage Capacity (in acre-feet): 38,285

Lake Maintained or Owned by

Panola County Fresh Water Supply District No. 1

Date of Origin

1958 (66 years ago)

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Lake Murvaul is classified as a Lake

Purposes

  • Recreation
  • Municipal water supply
  • Industry